[gmx-developers] triplet range cut-off

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Sep 7 08:33:33 CEST 2007

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Quoting Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>:
>
>> David van der Spoel wrote:

>>> The PME-Van der Waals would be nice to have as an option.
>>
>> Added to wiki project list... weirdly I had thought it was already
>> there...
>
> The PME-van der waals would be fantastic. However, I understood that it
> would be so slow that it is basically not worth doing. I have included
> posts here in the hopes that somebody can figure out a better way to do
> it. I believe that "Particle Mesh LJ?" would really be a substantial
> benifit for lipid bilayers or detergent micelles. Also probably very
> important for proteins in general.

It would be slow, yes, but the question is how slow? It's probably good
to consider how important it really is, by quantifying the dispersion
forces, for instances in a membrane as a function of Z-coordinate by
varying cut-offs. This can be done without great trouble using a very a
short mdrun -rerun of an existing trajectory.

I'm pretty confident that the error due to leaving out Van der Waals
beyond the cut-off, in particular with the dispersion correction turned
on, is not very large. The obvious problem is the inhomogeneity of the
system, this can be quantified even easier by summing the C6 terms for
all atoms over slabs parallel to the membrane, i.e. making a C6 profile
rather than a density profile.

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.