[gmx-developers] Shift for MARTINI force field?

Luca Monticelli luca.monticelli at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:26:14 CEST 2009

XAvier Periole wrote:
> Also for your information. The derive of temperature reported by Moritz
> et al. (linked by Michael) when using MARTINI with increasing time step
> is actually due to (the old story reported by van Gunsteren et al.) the use
> of the average of the half-time-step velocities to get the on-step
> temperature instead of the average of the half-time-step kinetic energy.
> We have written a comment on that paper ... nothing wrong with MARTINI. :))

That is also my understanding, thanks
Xavier for clarifying this.

By the way, I think it would be useful
if we were able to choose how to
calculate the kinetic energy (either
from average half-step velocities, as
was done until v3.2.1, or from half-step
kinetic energies, as done in v3.3 and
newer). At the moment, one needs to use
the (much slower) v3.2.1 to look at the
effect of calculating the kinetic energy
in 2 different ways. Would it be a lot
of work to add an implementation of the
"old way" in Gromacs 4? (and then allow
the user to choose between the two)
I did notice large differences (in the
density of liquids, for example) between
v3.2.1 and v3.3 with MARTINI (with
atomistic simulations the differences
are less important since the time step
is much smaller); it's clear that this
is related to the different way of
calculating kinetic energy, but it's not
entirely clear to me why the new method
would be best. I suppose Berk has done
some work on this, but I haven't seen
any paper published - did I miss it?