[Abe.kth.se_sakraplatseruserlist] very recent transit report (USA) fyi

Chris Herrmann crherrmann at gmail.com
Ons Feb 26 06:35:59 CET 2020

Hello and happy Wednesday to all.

I just received this transit ridership report in my emailbox and thought if
might be worth sharing with the group. I have not read all of this report,
but some of the case studies (page 43-73) are interesting.

I am also attaching a recent NYC Transit report, which I was asked to
comment on for one of the local media outlets. The February 2020 Crime
Report is on PDF page 101 of the report. Overall, the crime numbers are
very, very very, low (considering the 184-million ridership in January 2020
(see PDF page 108). But we have some very interesting trends occurring here
in NYC, many people think these big increases in crime from month to month
is a result of the new 'bail reform' laws that we have in NY (these are NY
State laws, which also apply to NYC).  Some of the initial (media) reports
suggest that 85%-90% of those arrested are back on the street the same day
(as opposed to not making bail and staying in the NYC Jail until trial).

It will be interesting to see how this new bail reform law (and the
possibility of new 500 new police for the NYC transit system) will impact
crime in the NYC transit system.....

Hope everyone is doing well, Chris Herrmann  John Jay College of Criminal
Justice