[gmx-users] RPC/XDR in SGI Origin3200

Erik Lindahl erik at theophys.kth.se
Sat Dec 29 15:19:09 CET 2001

Xiaomin Luo wrote:

> Hi, all. I am sorry that the two previous mails sent by me contain
> meaningless words, so I send it again. I try to compile Gromacs 3.0.5
> on SGI Origin3200, and succeed in sequential version. However, it
> failed when I try to compile a parallel version(--enable-mpi). It
> says:checking for rpc/rpc.h... yes
> checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... no
> configure: WARNING: RPC/XDR libraries not found - disabling xtc
> checking for rpc/xdr.h... yes
> checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... (cached) no
> configure: WARNING: RPC/XDR libraries not found - disabling xtc

> *WARNING - XDR not found. This cripples GROMACS significantly - you
> cannot  *
> *read/write portable trajectories. No choice on windows, but locate
> the RPC *
> *header files and libraries if you run UNIX - they do
> exist!                *
>
> ****************************************************************************It
> says:checking for rpc/rpc.h... yes
> checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... yes
> checking for rpc/xdr.h... yes
> checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... (cached) yeswhen compile the
> sequential versionThanks

It's quite simple - your mpi-enabled compiler command cannot find the
library file libnsl.a, which probably means it is not setup correctly
since the file is obviously present on your system. Either ask your
sysadm to fix it, or locate the file yourself and explicitly add that
location as a library search path by putting it in LDFLAGS.

Cheers,

Erik