[gmx-users] Re: Pull code/starting structures

Justin MacCallum jlmaccal at ucalgary.ca
Wed Nov 21 20:06:20 CET 2001

Hi Cristian,

Unfortunately, the current state of the pull code is a bit of a mess. We
currently have an in house version here in Calgary that is somewhat
changed from the code in Gromacs 3, but its not even close to being
considered release quality.

The starting structure option that you are using is simply for generating
starting structures to use with the umbrella sampling or constraint forces
code.  The code currently works by adding a constant velocity
(translation_rate) in the correct direction.  The r0_group2 option only
applies if you have two pulled groups, which you don't seem to.  So the
setting of r0_group2 should have no effect on your system.  I'm not sure
why the direction options aren't working.

But, as I said the starting structure options are just for generating
starting structures.  In order to actually calculate the potential of mean
force, you need to use the umbrella sampling or constraint force options.
As far as I know, the umbrella sampling stuff that is in the 3.0.x release
is completely broken.  Even the version that I have is probably not that
suitable for the problem you are looking at.  Eventually, I will probably
clean up the pull code, add some extra features, and simplify the
interface.  In short, until the pull code is improved, I don't think that
it is that suitable for your problem.

Cheers,
Justin