[gmx-users] cluster types supported

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 18 18:37:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I appreciate the explanation on the openMosix issue, that really does
> clear
> things up on that front.
>
> And its early, I haven't had my liquid no-doze yet this morning, I'm
> not
> sure if your statement lends weight (or not)
> to the openssi cluster question...
>
> Just for reference:   http://www.openssi.org/
>
> Thanks for the response...

I'm a bit skeptical for two reasons:

1. It's a relatively new project. What do you do in two years with your
cluster if it just dies away? It also requires patching kernels, etc.
2. It tries to make the linux cluster into something different. SSI
works great on a big shared memory machine, but in this case you are
going to send lots of data over the network. I'd rather have separate
boxes and reserve the network traffic for my simulation data.

There are plenty of free linux distributions available to automate the
cluster installation, e.g. http://www.rocksclusters.org.

Cheers,

Erik