[gmx-users] the sign of the bonding energy term

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 7 19:14:51 CET 2003

On Friday, Mar 7, 2003, at 04:12 US/Pacific, Yong Kong wrote:

> Dear GROMACS team/users!
>
> I am a new uesr, and have a general question on  the bonding
> interactions in
> GROMACS (bonds, angle and dihedral). It seems that GROMACS treats all
> the three
> types of bonding as positive terms. That means for a non-protein
> system with
> zero partial charge on atoms the calculated potential energy must be
> positive,
> is my understanding right? And if that's true, the energy minimization
> still
> works? Should I change the signs of the bonding parameters manually to
> maintain
> the total/potential energy negative?

I don't know of any forcefield that uses negative energies for bonded
interactions; if you were to change the sign, the most unfavorable
state of a bond would be its equilibrium value and the best state when
the two atoms are at a distance of infinity. That will obviously crash
any simulation.

Don't change any parameters whatsoever; the sign of the energy doesn't
have anything to do with the minimization :-)

Cheers,

Erik