[gmx-users] grompp problems

Taeho Kim taeho.kim at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 11 17:13:28 CET 2003

Hi,
It's great to see your useful information.
For Mac OS X, I am just wondering whether you have better performance - scaling - on multiple Mac machines. I have installed Gromacs3.1.5/LAM-MPI6.5.7/FFTW2.1.3 with the similar configurations to yours. However, I didn't get better performance on two dual CPU machines than one single dual machine.

For your information,
--------- I have differences from your instructions. I didn't specifically define below ----
3C. Export the following environment variables:         ;;( since the lib is in my path, /sw/bin)
CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/local/lam_mpi/include
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/local/lam_mpi/lib
LIBS = -lmpi -llam
MPICC = cc
----
I'm wondering whether MPICC with cc is different from with "gcc" in performance?  I used "cc=gcc" for configuration.

How can I increase the computing performance on multiple machines of dual 1.0GHz Mac OS X.  I'm willing to try to reinstall software for better scaling.

And what if I add more single CPU Macs machines with lower CPU speeds?  I suspect the lower CPU speed can be the bottle-neck of heterogeneous CPU clusters, even with -shuffle.  Actually, I didn't try this because I didn't get better performance on two machines with the same CPU/OSX over fast Ethernet.

Thank you in advance,
Taeho