[gmx-users] Do I need to add hydrogens?

Madhuri Agashe magashe at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Jan 23 02:54:00 CET 2004

I had further questions:

1. why should we not use ffgmx2 forcefield?

2.how is OPLS better than ffgmx2?

3.How should one go about using OPLS given the fact that gromacs first looks
for the .rtp and .atp files in usr/local/share/gromacs/top?

4.In octanol.itp that you had attached to the previous reply, Carbons are
defined with no hydrogens wheras oxygen has a hydrogen defined too. Why is
this so? Does this mean that hydrogens attached to carbons need not be
defined?

5. The gromacs library has decane.itp. This molecule has ONLY carbons
defined and no hydrogens. Does this mean that while defining alkane/alkene
chains, we do not need to define hydrogens?

6. When a Carbon is defined as a C2 carbon, does it assume 2 implicit
hydrogens? Is this Carbon so parameterized so as to include the effect of
these implicit hydrogens?

We look forward to these answers. They are very crucial for our research!!

Thanks!!
-Madhuri,Vivek