[gmx-users] Re: Compiling Gromacs 3.2.1 on IBM p690+ Power4

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:37:25 CEST 2004

>I managed to install it now on a 1.7 Ghz Power4 machine. The benchmark
>result for d.villin is quite dissappointing: 5997 ps/day on one node, this
>is more or less half the result of a single node simulation on a 2 ghz
>powermac (11220 ps/day)! Is this the result of the altivec loops on the
>mac? Is there no performance-boosting alternative for the power4? Then the
>power4s are quite a bad buy for gromacs users I guess,
>performance/pricewise.

I am not the expert on Gromacs on IBM's, but these results do not surprise
me.
On a clock for clock basis the current order for systems in Gromacs is:
1. PowerMac
2. AMD Opteron
3. IBM Power4 (apparently, from your mail)
4. Intel Pentium 4 (but is fast due to much higher clock speeds)

The parallel scaling on the IBM might be quite good though.

Berk.