[gmx-users] Force Fields and Electrostatics

Dallas Warren dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 03:27:02 CEST 2004

Just wondering on a couple of things to do with force fields and the
electrostatics used in them.

Force fields are developed with particular electrostatics in mind, right?
i.e. cut-off of a certain length or PME etc.

What happens then if you then use something different?  Does the ff take
into "account" the irregularities (eg with cut-off you get concentration of
oppositely charged ions at the cut-off distance when looking at the RDF)
that occur and therefore if you use a different electrostatic treatment
things start to breakdown?  In other words, do you just stick to what is
defined by the ff to be used?

I have run three simulations of the same system with different treatment of
electrostatics.  This is been done using the G43a2 force field.  The
different conditions I have used are listed below.  The behaviour of all of
them is different to each other.
         Cut-off 1.5 nm
         Cut-off 2.0 nm
         PME

I have noted that Marrink + Mark (BioChem 41(17) 5375 2002) used a similar
system with 1.5 nm, tested out 1.8 nm and saw not overall difference, using
Gromos96.  So they settled at 1.5 nm being OK to use.

I was thinking that may be that the ff is developed on simpler systems such
that the important interactions that produce the properties things are
adjusted for are under these cut off distances.  So when electrostatic
interactions that are over a similar distance to the cut-off, or a bit
larger, things can be adversely effected and behave in an unusual manner.

This is something that probably goes to the heart of the black art of force
fields ;-)

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
+61 3 9903 9083