[gmx-users] positional restraint

Alok alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Thu Nov 25 20:05:28 CET 2004

hello Xavier,
                    I am a little confused about this constraint thing
after going through your reply.I would just like to mention the way i
generated my ".itp file" for constraining the residue in my protein.

I initially generated the ".itp file" using pdb2gmx program.The ".itp
file" so generated contained all heavy atoms of my protein with the
corresponding force constant.I then manupulated this ".itp file"
according to my requirements  by deleting all  atoms expect the heavy
atoms corresponding to my residue of interest.I checked the atom number
of my residue from the ".gro file".

                                 I also wanted to constrain the hydrogen
atoms present in the residue.So I got the the atom number of the
hydrogen atoms present in the residue from the ".gro file" and
consequently added to the ".itp file".So my final ".itp file " contains
only the atom number for all atoms (heavy as well as hydrogens) present
in the residue i want to constrain which i have shown in my first mail.

                                   I then added this ".itp file" to the
".top file" and processed the input files.

Your reply to my previous mail where u have mentioned

"Position restrains have to be assigned on the atom number of the
molecule not the
number in the gro file !!"

has  created a doubt if I am doing the right thing for constraining the
residue.Please correct me if I am going wrong.

                                        Thanking you

                                           Alok Jain