[gmx-users] protein with multiple chains

jjvcirino at ig.com.br jjvcirino at ig.com.br
Wed Oct 20 18:50:55 CEST 2004

A have a question about how to simulate a protein with multiple chains.
In the original pdb file the chains are identified with the letters W, V, X,
and Y.
When I processed this file with pdb2gmx:

  pdb2gmx -ss -f prot.pdb -o prot.gro -p prot.top

the resulting .gro file did not contain any explicit (to me) information
about
each chain. All residues are written
sequentially. But four itp files are generated.
When I tried to run grommp:

   grompp -f md.mdp -c prot_md.gro -p prot.top -o prot_md.tpr -np 4

with the following options in the .mdp file:

   energygrps              =  Protein_W   Protein_V   Protein_X   Protein_Y
SOL   NA+
   tc-grps                     =  Protein_W   Protein_V   Protein_X
Protein_Y   SOL   NA+
   tau_t                        =  0.1    0.1    0.1   0.1    0.1    0.1
   ref_t                        =  300    300    300    300    300    300

I got an error:

   processing topology...
   Generated 243951 of the 243951 non-bonded parameter combinations
   Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
   Generated 243951 of the 243951 1-4 parameter combinations
   Cleaning up temporary file gromppYGHL8M
   Fatal error: No such moleculetype Protein_V

What can I do to calculate the interaction energies between each chain?
I watched the mailing lists but I did not find the solution.
Thanks for the help.

JJVC
e-mail: jair at iq.ufrj.br
Depto. Química Orgânica