[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 20, Issue 9

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Dec 2 09:05:39 CET 2005

Dongsheng Zhang wrote:

>Dear David,
>
>I have tried it. The difference in potential energy is very large.
>
>The commands I used are:
>mdrun -s full2.tpr -rerun full2.trr -e full2 -o full2 -x full2 -g full2
>g_energy -f full2.edr -o energy2  (choose 5-10 )
>
>mdrun -s full3.tpr -rerun full2.trr -e full3 -o full3 -x full3 -g full3
>g_energy -f full3.edr -o energy3  (choose 5-10)
>
>part of full2.mdp is:
>
>; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
>nstlist                  = 5            ; nblist update frequency
>ns_type                  = grid         ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
>pbc                      = xyz
>rlist                    = 1.1          ; nblist cut-off
>

>; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
>; Method for doing electrostatics: Cut-off,
>coulombtype              = Switch
>fourierspacing           = 0.1
>pme_order                = 3
>rcoulomb                 = 1.0
>rcoulomb_switch          = 0.9
>; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field
>epsilon-r                = 1.0
>
>; Method for doing Van der Waals
>vdw-type                 = Switch
>; cut-off lengths
>rvdw                     = 1.0
>rvdw_switch              = 0.9
>
>; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
>DispCorr                 = no; EnerPres
>

>; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS
>; Temperature coupling
>Tcoupl                   = nose-hoover ;berendsen
>; Groups to couple separately
>tc-grps                  = protein SOL
>; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K)
>tau_t                    = 0.1   0.1
>ref_t                    = 300   300
>; Pressure coupling
>Pcoupl                   = Parrinello-Rahman ;berendsen
>Pcoupltype               = isotropic
>; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
>tau_p                    = 1.5
>compressibility          = 4.5e-5
>ref_p                    = 1.0
>

>part of full3.mdp is:
>
>; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
>nstlist                  = 5            ; nblist update frequency
>ns_type                  = grid         ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
>pbc                      = xyz
>rlist                    = 1.0          ; nblist cut-off
>

>; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
>; Method for doing electrostatics: Cut-off,
>coulombtype              = Cut-off
>fourierspacing           = 0.1
>pme_order                = 3
>rcoulomb                 = 1.0
>rcoulomb_switch          = 0.9
>; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field
>epsilon-r                = 1.0
>
>; Method for doing Van der Waals
>vdw-type                 = cut-off
>; cut-off lengths
>rvdw                     = 1.0
>rvdw_switch              = 0.9
>
>; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
>DispCorr                 = no; EnerPres

> [...]

Yes. When you use a cut-off interactions between neutral charge groups
are always calculated completely. With an atomic switch function it you
are calculating interactions between e.g. only the oxygen in a water
molecule and some other charged moiety, this group based cut-off is
described in the gromacs manual, the artifacts due to the switch in the
paper I mentioned recently. Solution: use PME.

--
David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755