[gmx-users] Size of perturbed groups in FEP

Bruce Milne bfmilne at ff.up.pt
Wed Jan 11 15:24:29 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering about the possibility of doing free energy
calculations on D- and L- forms of amino acids incorporated into small
peptides but I have no experience in this area and I was just wondering
if it is possible to do free energy perturbations on groups as large as
the side chains in e.g. isoleucine. It seems to me that changing a
hydrogen atom for, say, a methyl group might be OK but what about
something as large as -CH(CH3)CH2CH3 ?

I guess in practice the unit to be perturbed would have to include the
backbone carbon plus the hydrogen and side chain in order to go from the
D- to the L-form of an amino acid.

Sorry if this is really basic and obvious but any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bruce

--