[gmx-users] linux kernel 2.4 vs 2.6

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Tue Jul 18 23:35:59 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I have done some testing on the two different Xeon clusters.  For clarity
let me reiterate:

(1) CPU is 2.8 Ghz with linux kernel 2.4.21  (gcc version 3.2.3)
(2) CPU is 2.4 Ghz with linux kernel 2.6.13  (gcc version 4.0.2)

I started by running the dppc benchmark d.dppc provided by gromacs.  Since
this system does not use PME it is a good test to show performance
without using ffts. The system contains 121856 atoms, and each test run was
5000 steps. The results were:

#procs    time (machine1)      time (machine2)
------    --------------       ---------------
2            1h04:42            1h07:06
6              36:40              35:49
8              27.25              26:33
10             26.26              24:52
12             42.58              19:49
14              --                20.27

The 2 machines appear to behave similarly, and in fact, the newer kernel
appears to make machine (2) perform slightly better despite the slower
CPUs. Machine (1) has optimum performance at 10 CPUs while machine (2)
peaks at 12 CPUs.

I then tested a 51709 atom system (protein + hydrated membrane) using PME.
Each test run was 10000 steps. The results were.

#procs    time (machine1)      time (machine2)
------    --------------       ---------------
2           1h19:19             1h20:07
4           1h01:21             1h37:44
6             56:44             1h59:36
8           1h00:06             2h28:42
10          1h55:21             2h42:31
12          2h47:54             2h56:54

Clearly machine (2) does not scale at all when using PME. I suspected it
was due to fftw3, and compiled using intel mkl, but it doesn't appear to behave
differently. Right now I am at a loss for an explanation, and would
appreciate some help.

Thanks,
David