[gmx-users] 32 bit dual core or 64 bit single core?

Florian Haberl Florian.Haberl at chemie.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Mar 10 17:29:16 CET 2006

hi,

On Friday 10 March 2006 17:21, Beniamino Sciacca wrote:
> thanks for your answer... but in my post i made a mistake: "...or is
> better an AMD turion 64 (that is single core but work on 64 bit, and
> gromacs could works on "64" bit)?". so... is gromacs 64 bit on a  64 bit
> processor faster than gromacs 32 bit on 32 bit processor dual core (like
> centrino duo)?
> thanks

as Yang Ye said don`t run gromacs simulations on laptops, the laptop will die
soon ...
atm buy intel centrino duo for laptops, its faster than amd and does not
consume so much power. For analyising your simulation the harddiscs are the
limited factor so you need a fast raid system.

Normally you do your md simulation on a cluster and programming and comparing
of the results on your own pc.