[gmx-users] Re: Your Question about unwanted waters

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Tue May 9 17:53:23 CEST 2006

David Mobley wrote:

> Arneh,
>
> For the record (since I'm sending this to the users list also), the
> problem was that I had a protein with some small "pockets" in it that
> are empty in the crystal structure. Some of these pockets were just
> large enough that a water molecule could fit in when genbox solvates
> the structure, even though no water molecule should be there. In
> subsequent simulations, these waters would often remain trapped inside
> the protein and drift around, exhibiting very long correlation times.
[...]

> On 5/8/06, Arneh Babakhani <ababakha at mccammon.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm having the same issue (solvating a membrane, and it's placing waters
>> in the core of the lipid bilayer).

Many people I know who solvate bilayers, actually 'paste' slabs of water
on each side of the bilayer, instead of using genbox. This does leave a
considerable space between the water slabs and the headgroups (except
for the outmost headgroup atoms, that is), but that is relatively easily
equilibrated by restraining the bilayer. If the final density is too low
(happens a lot) and (anisotropic) pressure coupling doesn't quite solve
it (which an also happen often), you may try decreasing the z-box length
in small steps (0.01 nm or so, not scaling, simply change the vector),
and do a bit of md (1 ps or so), again with bilayer restrained.

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Affiliation, Phone & Fax numbers (below) *
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |