[gmx-users] Need help: error during installation

shyamala iyer shyamala.iyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 23:06:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am new to GROMACS and I am having some trouble installing GROMACS in my
home directory.
The machine I am currently working on has fftw, gcc and binutils already
installed
fftw package installed: fftw3-3.0.1-4

gcc:
gcc-c++-3.4.6-3.1
libgcc-3.4.6-3.1
compat-libgcc-296-2.96-132.7.2
gcc-3.4.6-3.1
gcc-java-3.4.6-3.1
libgcc-3.4.6-3.1
gcc-g77-3.4.6-3.1

Binutils package:

binutils-2.15.92.0.2-21
After extracting the gromacs-3.3.1 , I followed instructions, went to the
gromacs dir and typed ./configure with prefix option so that I could install
GROMACS in my home dir. This fails with the following message:
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gawk... gawk
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

The location in config.log where I think it is failing is
gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
configure:2721: $? = 0
configure:2723: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: `-V' option must have argument
configure:2726: $? = 1
configure:2749: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2752: gcc -O3 -Wall -pedantic -static $(HDRS) $(DEFINES)
conftest.c\
 -lm >&5
gcc: $(HDRS): No such file or directory
gcc: $(DEFINES): No such file or directory
configure:2755: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

Does someone have any suggestions that I could follow to try and fix this
error.

Thanks a lot,

Shyamala