[gmx-users] water can't freeze

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Tue Apr 22 09:37:11 CEST 2008

There are several different crystal phases of water. For simulation
setup, it's best (always, not only with freezing of water) to check the
literature. This will also give you a hint on what have already been
done. Quite a few MD simulations of ice were reported. If you have a
good idea on what you want to see, verify that it hasn't already been
performed.

Ran.

Erik Marklund wrote:
> I think you'll have to do it manually. The geometry for ice shouldn't
> be too hard to find, and with that you can build your own coordinate
> file for a chunk of ice. Ice is not the only nucleating agent for
> water freezing though. In large scale nucleation protocols some silver
> compound is used if I remember correctly. Still, nucleation reactions
> are generally pretty slow in comparison to melting, so don't expect to
> see much happening in the first hundreds of ps.
>
> /Erik
>
> Wei, Xiupeng skrev:
>> Dear Vasilii and other users,
>>           Thanks for you reply.
>>           I triedto do the simulation you said.   But how to setup
>> the initial configuration which is putting water contacting with ice,
>> I knew in Gms tutor there is a example of mixed water and mathenol,
>> it is a water box contacting with a mathenol box. I searched mailing
>> list and wikki, however, no useful information to create such a
>> configuration. Would you give me some suggestions?
>>          Does it still use editconf and genbox to create it?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> xiupeng

Ran Friedman
Postdoctoral Fellow
Computational Structural Biology Group (A. Caflisch)
Department of Biochemistry
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland