[gmx-users] 3rd Annual CMM 'Users Meet Developers' Workshop on QM/MM Simulations

Robert Johnson bobjohnson1981 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:40:34 CEST 2008

Dear Colleague.

We cordially invite you to register for the:

   3rd Annual CMM 'Users Meet Developers'  Workshop on QM/MM Simulations

   August 21st to 23rd 2008 in Philadelphia, PA

* Goals

The primary goal of this annual workshop is to encourage communication between
users and developers of different Quantum Mechanics / Molecular Mechanics
(QM/MM) approaches and implementations. It is meant to be a forum to exchange
ideas about solutions to common problems, demonstrate
successes of QM/MM applications and to discuss ways to make QM/MM calculations
more versatile and also more accessible for newcomers to the field. To this
effect, we particularly invite active developers
of QM/MM codes and experienced users.

* Format

The 2008 workshop is planned to consist of oral and poster presentations on
current methods developments and applications of QM/MM simulations in an
informal and collegial atmosphere. Previous CMM QM/MM workshops have also shown
to be a good platform for graduate students and postdocs to present their work
and get useful comments from a competent audience.

The schedule will give a lot of room for discussions (1/3 of the time allocated
for each oral presentation). We will start on Thursday, August 21st in the
evening (8 pm) with a reception, there will be presentations and a poster
session on Friday, August 22nd and we close on Saturday, August 23rd in the
late afternoon after another round of presentations.

* Special Note: QM/MM Symposium at ACS Fall Meeting 2008 in Philadelphia

Please note that the CMM QM/MM workshop directly follows the 2008 ACS Fall
Meeting (Aug 17-21) in Philadelphia. During the ACS meeting a QM/MM symposium
sponsored by the COMP section has been put together by the organizers of the
CMM QM/MM workshop. Several of the invited speakers at the ACS symposium have
indicated to stay for the CMM workshop as well, and thus the workshop will
offer a great opportunity to discuss with experts in the field in a less formal
atmosphere. The final program of the ACS symposium is not yet available online,
but a link to the QM/MM
symposium program will be made available through the workshop homepage.

* Cost and Financial Support

Merck Research Laboratories ( http://www.merck.com/mrl/ ). To keep the
administrative overhead low, we don't provide any individual financial support,
but in turn there is _NO_ registration or conference fee, and for qualified
participants we can provide accommodation support in the form of a block of
(double occupancy) rooms at no cost in a hotel within walking distance to the
Penn campus. For other participants we will
negotiate a discounted rate at the conference hotel.

* Registration, Contributions and Participation

To register for participation simply send an e-mail to
qmmmworkshop at cmm.chem.upenn.edu stating:

- your full name and affiliation

- your research interest (field of research, developer or user,
    which QM/MM package, level or experience)

- whether you would like to contribute a full (30min) or a short (10min)
    oral presentation and/or a poster and a respective tentative title.

- whether you want to apply for accommodation support (see above)
    or prefer to organize accommodation for yourself.

The maximum number of participants and presenters is limited due to the
available funding, the size of the lecture hall, and to maintain the informal
atmosphere, which has proven to be important for effective discussions. Special
preference will be given to participants that increase the diversity of
presentations and represented QM/MM codes.

* __Deadline__

Please respond until: __June 8th 2008__

Confirmation of your attendance will be sent out via e-mail
as soon as possible and at the latest shortly after the deadline.

* Venue and Program

The workshop will be held on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in
the University City area of Philadelphia.
Details of venue and a tentative program will be published
on the workshop home page as they become available:

http://www.cmm.upenn.edu/qmmm2008.html

The web page still contains the details for previous workshops (for your
information) and will be updated continuously.

* Contact

If you have any questions about the workshop or the details
of the organization please don't hesitate to contact us at:

qmmmworkshop at cmm.chem.upenn.edu

We are hoping to meet you soon in Philadelphia.

On behalf of the CMM and the organizers,
     Axel Kohlmeyer.