[gmx-users] Problems with umbrella sampling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 29 13:12:24 CET 2009

Amir Marcovitz wrote:
> Thanks Justin,
>
> it seems to help, i have another general question that you might help me
> with:
>
> should i define the distances for the umbrella sampling run in some file
> and then run it?(i saw something about  *.ppa file but couldn't find any
> further instructions in the mannual..)
> will this file apply for the WHAM analysis after the run?

All settings are defined in the .mdp file (see, i.e. pull_start and pull_init).
  Using .ppa files is obsolete (version 3.x and before).  The WHAM analysis
later reads these distances from the .tpr files passed to g_wham.

There are many discussions (some quite recent) in the list archive about proper
settings.  I suggest you have a look at the manual and then go searching.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080