[gmx-users] g_hbond problem to select donor atoms in drug

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 4 07:02:03 CET 2009

geeta kant wrote:

> Dear Gromacs users,
> I am trying to analyze hydrogen bonding between a Protein and Drug by
> g_hbond from .xtc and .tpr and .ndx files. I am getting expected results
> when the H-bond donor and the hydrogen atom is from protein while the
> hydrogen bond acceptor atom is in the drug. The results are, however,
> wrong when I am trying to look for H-bond when the donor and hydrogen
> atoms are from the drug molecule and acceptor atoms are in the protein.
> My atom names in the drug molecule sometimes start with N or A, such as
> NC6 (a carbon), NN6 (a nitrogen), NH61 (a hydrogen) etc. and g_hbond is
> considering all these atoms as hydrogen bond acceptor.  I would
> appreciate if somebody  gives a hint to calculate the correct hydrogen
> bonds in my system.

Apparently the heuristic for detecting H-bonding involves the atom
names, and ones starting with N are guessed to be nitrogen. I suggest
going back to your pre-grompp coordinate file, editing the atom names
suitably, doing the corresponding edits to the atom names in the [
molecule ] section(s) of your topology. Then you can regenerate a new
.tpr with atom names with which g_hbond will work better. So long as the
order of the atoms has not changed, you can combine your new .tpr and
your old .xtc as inputs to g_hbond.