[gmx-users] pdb2gmx error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 15 06:03:22 CET 2009

Ilya Chorny wrote:
> I created a new ffoplsaa.rtp entry for ASN with a polysacharide attached
> to the side chain nitrogen called ASBG. I want to test the new residue
> by itself.
>
> When I pdb2gmx it I get the following error.

> Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.0.3
> Source code file: pgutil.c, line: 87
>
> Fatal error:
> Atom N not found in residue 1094904186 while adding improper

If the residue is by itself, something is seriously wrong if pdb2gmx is
detecting a billion residues!

> If I comment out
>
>  CA    +N     C     O     improper_O_C_X_Y

Right, because if the residue is by itself, there will be no N in the next
residue (+N).

> Then pdb2gmx creates the gro and top with no error messages.
>
> I saw an much earlier post by Justin with a similar error message but no
> resolution. Anyone have anythoughts?

IIRC, that was in reference to version 3.3.1, which turned out to be the result
of a broken Ubuntu package, and was not a problem with Gromacs itself.

Try it in the context of the actual molecule, if topology construction requires
the next residue.  In isolation, that residue will always fail with +N.

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Ilya
>

> --