[gmx-users] Determining density of a gas in a simulation

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Nov 7 02:14:13 CET 2009

Darrell Koskinen wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I took a look at a tutorial where they perform an NPT simulation
> (http://davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/prodrg/gmx.pdf, page 11) and it
> appears to me that they simply ran the simulation with pressure and
> tempurature coupling "on" for a sufficient amount of time to reach
> equilibrium.
> I also searched in the GROMACS manual for NPT and came across the
> following:
> /"The generally more useful Gibbs free energy G is related to the
> partition function
>  of an N, p, T ensemble, which is assumed to be the equilibrium
> ensemble generated by a MD
> simulation at constant pressure and temperature"./
> This appears to indicate that in order to run an NPT simulation, we
> simply need to maintain constant temperature and pressure, which I
> assume simply means letting the system reach equilibrium, since, at
> equilibrium, the temnperature and pressure will be reasonably constant.

Sure... that's what equilibrium means - a stable point to which a system
will return if perturbed. The starting configuration is a perturbation.
In principle, you could use the thermostat and barostat until you
achieved equilibrium, and then either turn them off so the dynamics are
unperturbed, or continue using such coupling algorithms that do not
affect the ensemble. Berendsen, notably, does perturb the ensemble
despite its widespread use. In practice, you want to keep the coupling
algorithm in cases where the integration errors are appreciable over the
length of the simulation, etc.

Mark