[gmx-users] Re: Re: Pyroglutamic Acid - Topology (pdb2gmx)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 15 14:17:59 CEST 2009

Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
> Hey,
>
>> The problem comes from the special linkage between PGL and whatever the
>> subsequent amino acid is - the amide is formed through the side chain.  As
>> such, you will need to specify a special bond in specbond.dat before this
>> connectivity will be recognized.  If this is successful, then the PHE should
>> no longer be recognized as a terminal residue and thus will not receive any
>> additional protonation.
>
> That's not correct. Pyroglutamic acid is basically a proline with an
> oxy group due to formation of an intra-residue ester bond. There's no
> bond between the side chain and the next amino acid.

Oops, indeed Tsjerk is quite right.  I thought about that far too quickly (I
think my brain somehow jumped to the glutathione structure for some unknown
reason...)

Defining appropriate connectivity is indeed the problem, but not how I described
it.  Apologies for the error, and thanks Tsjerk for catching me on it.

-Justin

> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk

Justin A. Lemkul