Fwd: [gmx-users] scripts to generate topology CG

Francesco Pietra francesco.pietra at accademialucchese.it
Fri Oct 23 17:25:01 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Francesco Pietra <francesco.pietra at accademialucchese.it>
Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] scripts to generate topology CG
To: jalemkul at vt.edu, Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Francesco Pietra wrote:
>>
>> Hello Sunny:
>> I had already generated a valid .itp file for my protein using
>> seq2itp. That .itp works for both the protein itself and the protein
>> graphically inserted into a bilayer. When I add graphically further
>> water it does not work any more. I thought there is something else
>> that manages water without putting it everywhere. That script does not
>> help.
>>

> In order to get a solution to your problem, I think you're going to have to
> explain your methodology more clearly, including command lines and actual
> error messages.  How are you adding water "graphically"?  Is genbox not
> working?  Can you not simply grep for the number of water molecules, i.e.:
>
> grep W solvated.gro | wc -l
>
> and use that number in the topology?

I forgot to add that the graphic program uses the above grep command,
giving the same number of W as the line command. The number of DCCP is
diminished by those deleted in inserting the protein, but the grompp
command complains that .gro does not matches .top. If no further water
is added graphically, everything works.

> -Justin

I'll organize to explain in more details. The methodology (all-atoms)
is explained in a few papers of mine and supplementary material, for
example: F. Pietra “ Docking and MD simulations of the interaction of
the tarantula peptide psalmotoxin‑1 with ASIC1a channels using  a
homology model” J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2009, 49, 972-977.

thanks
francesco