[gmx-users] adding multi-residue molecules in solution

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Sep 5 04:12:37 CEST 2009

milad ekramnia wrote:
> Hi dear gromacs users
> how can I insert molecules with more than 1 residue (like a multi-residue protein ) in my box beside the main one

By having a new [ moleculetype ]. The simplest way to do this is to take
the secondary molecule and generate a .top file for it using your normal
method (e.g. pdb2gmx). Then edit that .top file to become an .itp file
(remove forcefield #include lines, [ default ] section, [ molecules ]
section) and now you have an .itp file that you can #include into your
original .top file. Obviously you still need the ordering of your [
molecules ] section to match that in your coordinate file.

Mark