[gmx-users] SHAKE and LINCS

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 17 22:15:19 CEST 2009

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Ricardo O. S. Soares wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> which one is used by default in case I do not provide any of them in
>> the mdp file for molecular dynamics?
>>

> You'll have to define "any of them," because if you do not specify the
> "constraints" keyword in the .mdp file, then no constraints are used.

Caveat: 7.3.18 of manual specifies

constraints: none
No constraints except for those defined explicitly in the topology...

For example, water models are likely to be using SETTLE, etc.

I believe Justin's statement is accurate with respect to molecules whose
[moleculetype] does not specify [constraints] or [settles], which are
most "user-defined" ones.

Mark