[gmx-users] Re: manual eq. 4.74-4.75 (dihedral restraints) head scratcher

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 19 17:51:17 CEST 2010

Daniel L. Ensign wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I appreciate your helpful reply. To summarize the additional points I
> make below:
> (1) the code is right as far as calculating the dihedral restraint
> potentials, but the manual has a bug, and

Yes, perhaps some additional information in the manual would be useful.

> (2) the settings for dihedral restraints should be documented,
> preferably in the wiki, which I'm not able to edit.

I've updated it:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Dihedral_Restraints

-Justin

> Justin wrote:
>> Daniel L. Ensign wrote:
>>> Hello gmx-users, you rock and rollers,
>>>
>>> Equations 4.74 and 4.75 in my copy of the manual have (please pardon my
>>> pseudo-LaTeX):
>>>
>>> (4.74)
>>> \phi' = (\phi - \phi_0) MOD 2\pi
>>>
>>> (4.75)
>>> V(\phi') = \frac{1}{2}k ( \phi' - \phi_0 - \Delta \phi )^2 if \phi' >
>>> \Delta \phi
>>> or
>>> V(\phi') = 0 if \phi' \leq \Delta \phi
>>>
>>> but should there be absolute values around all of the \phi-\phi_0? Which
>>> way is it in the code -- with the absolute distance between \phi and
>>> \phi_0 or the directed distance?
>>
>> It looks like absolute values are considered.  From src/gmxlib/dihres.c:
>>
>>      /* phi can jump if phi0 is close to Pi/-Pi, which will cause huge
>>       * force changes if we just apply a normal harmonic.
>>       * Instead, we first calculate phi-phi0 and take it modulo (-Pi,Pi).
>>       * This means we will never have the periodicity problem, unless
>>       * the dihedral is Pi away from phiO, which is very unlikely due to
>>       * the potential.
>>       */
>>      dp = phi-phi0;
>>      if (fabs(dp) > dphi) {
>>        /* dp cannot be outside (-2*pi,2*pi) */
>>        if (dp >= M_PI)
>>      dp -= 2*M_PI;
>>        else if(dp < -M_PI)
>>      dp += 2*M_PI;
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. As I look closer, I also see
>
>       if (dp > dphi)
>     ddp = dp-dphi;
>       else if (dp < -dphi)
>     ddp = dp+dphi;
>       else
>     ddp = 0;
>
> followed by
>
>     vtot += 0.5*kfac*ddp*ddp;
>
> Your code snippet indicates that the code is correct (absolute value of
> dp when calculating the angle modulus) and mine also indicates that the
> code is correct (absolute value of dp when calculating the restraint
> energy).
>
> The manual, however, should have absolute values in each place that
> phi-phi0 appears. How can the manual be corrected expending the least
> effort?
>
>>> Also, as far as I can tell (and some mornings I definitely don't read
>>> too good) neither the manual nor
>>> http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Dihedral_Restraints define the fields
>>> in [ dihedral_restraints ], although the latter does name them. There, I

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee