[gmx-users] g_wham gets stuck

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Apr 30 15:00:01 CEST 2010

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Amir Marcovitz wrote:
>> Thanks for your answers,
>>
>> I tried to struggle a bit more with that today.
>> my input dat files listings (i.e., tpr-files.dat, pullf-files.dat and
>> pullx-files.dat) are fine and consistent with other in terms of file
>> numbering.
>> i use gromacs 4.0.5 on Linux with gcc 4.1.2 compiler.
>
> Time and time again, we have to point out the bold warning on the
> Downloads page:
>
> "WARNING: do not use the gcc 4.1.x set of compilers. They are broken.
> These compilers come with recent Linux distrubutions like Fedora 5/6
> etc."
>
> Buggy behavior that is difficult to diagnose is often due to these
> faulty compilers.
>

>> i run: *g_wham -it tpr-files.dat -if pullf-files.dat -o -hist -unit
>> kCal -b 1000    *(my data is 16ns long and i ignore the first ns)
>>
>> and it starts reporting that the file are read:
>>
>> Reading file topol742.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
>> File topol742.tpr, 1 groups, geometry "distance", dimensions [N Y N],
>> (1 dimensions)
>>         grp 0) k = 1000.000  inittial distance = 2.41331
>> Reading file topol748.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
>> Reading file topol761.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
>> Reading file topol792.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
>> and so on..
>>
>> it reports that the boundaries are found and continue to read until
>> it stucks..
>>
>> However, when i do the WHAM with the pullx files (i.e., -ix
>> pullx-files instead of -if pullf-files.dat) the wham converges within
>> a reasonable time to a PMF profile which not so smooth.
>>
>> i therefore have some questions:
>> 1) what is the difference in the profiles for using  pullx or pullf
>> files?
>
> In principle, there probably shouldn't be any, but if there is perhaps
> someone else has seen that.
It should not make any difference at all. It it does, there is something
wrong with the data or g_wham is buggy. With the pullf files, g_wham
simply computes the pullx values from the force and the force constant.
This is not really required since it is more natural to just work with
the pullx, but I added to for the case that someone forgot to write the
pullx and only has the pullf files.

>> 2) suppose that my histograms overlap is poor for some locations
>> along the pulling vector, how one can solve that?
>
> Better sampling (more time) within the sampling windows, or more
> closely-spaced windows.
And maybe stronger force constants. g_wham can combine the runs with
smaller and larger force constants, that is no problem.

That is probably the reason for the weired PMF!

Jochen