[gmx-users] energy unit

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 30 01:27:22 CEST 2010

Moeed wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thanks for your explanation. I am sorry to bother you again. Like you
> said: "a mole of a given species in the given configuration would have
> this energy in kJ". This is absolutely clear but actually I think
> increasing the total energy with system size contradict this statement
> unless values given by g_energy are in KJ/system. If there are more
> interactions in a bigger system, as you said eventually values refer to
> mole number of particles (regardless of number of particles). If there
> are half  Na (avogardo) particles, finally energy is multiplied by 2 to
> get KJ/mole and if there are 10*Na, g_energy divides total energy by 10.
> Please enlightem me on this issue. Many thanks

The proper interpretation is related to what I said earlier.  The value of
energy in kJ/mol for your system would not be "kJ/system" but rather "kJ per
mole of that particular system in that particular configuration"  In a way your
interpretation might be right, but I was hoping to use the microscopic example
as a way to provide the underlying rationale.

-Justin

> Moeed

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate