[gmx-users] Re: individual lateral diffusion coefficients

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Thu Dec 2 19:14:34 CET 2010

Dear Angel,

I agree with Justin comments and I might add:

Taken from the marrink-2004JPC martini paper:
"Microsecond simulations of the bilayer containing 256
DPPC molecules allows the observation of truely long
time diffusive behavior. At T = 323 K, the lateral diffusion
rates of DPPC equals 3 +/-1 10-7 cm2 s-1, of the same
order of magnitude as experimentally measured (values
are typically reported to be around 1 10-7 cm2 s-1 at
temperatures close to 323 K; e.g., see refs 38 and 39)"

Here a factor 4 is used to scale the CG dynamics, your
simulation is fine. I am however surprised by the variance of
your individual lipids ... the length of your simulation might
be the reason ...

We have looked at lipid/protein interaction with Martini
quite a lot and convergence is reached after a few
microseconds and a multitude of exchanges of lipids
between contacts with the protein and the bulk. You'd
then have the issue of which lipid to consider in which
section ... not a trivial choice.

XAvier.