[gmx-users] FEP for amino acid mutations

Matteo De Chiara matnamo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:13:53 CEST 2010

Dear Gromacs user,

Still another problem...

How can I manage the mutation upon a Trp?
The mutation ALA-GLY does not cause any problem but the trasformation
TRP-ALA seems uneasy.

The Segmentation Fault error occurs suddenly I try to run the mdrun
with lambda=1, with lambda=0.99 it take 6 step before to crash while
if I start with lambda=0 it seems to work.
So, I was thinking that it could be because the whole Trp rings, which
loses lennard-jones interaction and charge, have still all its mass
and this mass are connected on a single HB of the final alanine ( I'm
using tha amber all-atom force field) that was the CG in the initial
Trp.
Could it be?
Can how manage it somehow?

Furthermore, if I change an aromatic residue in some long-sidechain
amino acid how can I manage the dihedral and the bonds? I think I
cannot let a bond disappear, for example if I try to transform a PHE
in a LEU...

Thank you for any hint you could give me!

matteo