[gmx-users] Freeze Groups in Gromacs 4.5.x (bug?)!!!

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 11 02:07:16 CET 2010

On 11/11/2010 3:14 AM, Miguel Machuqueiro wrote:

> Dear users and developers,
>
> In GROMACS 4.5.x when using "freeze groups" on a Protein in a
> Protein+Solvent system, I noticed that the coordinates of a few atoms
> (not many, but a few) are changed after a short period of MD (~0.2
> ps). Of course, this is wrong!
>
> Are there any options in MDP/GROMPP/MDRUN that can be originating
> this? Or it is some bug in the code?
>
> A copy of my input file follows below.
>
> Note that this version of GROMACS crashes if one uses "constraints" in
> LINCS together with "freeze groups". Hence the "constraints = none" line.

Indeed, because imposing the constraints can perturb the (frozen)
positions slightly, leading to numerical issues... Similarly, if you
couple the frozen groups to a heat bath, you're going to find that
they're not actually frozen. And pressure-coupling is not known to
always play nicely with frozen groups either (search the archive for more).