[gmx-users] Re: Segmantation fault at g_traj

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 13 17:22:50 CEST 2010

Susanne Fritz wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I think I have the same problem as Jorge Alberto Jover Galtier recently.
> Since I haven't found any solution within the archive, I try asking again.
>
> If I try to get the atom coordinates from a trajectory file with g_traj,
> g_traj exits with segmentation fault and the generated .xvg file is
> incomplete.
> This always happens. It dosn't matter if the trajectory is big or small
> or if I extract coordinates for one or thousands of atoms or timesteps.
> It is even independent from the input file (.trr, .xtc, .gro). It
> happens on different machines and independently from the actual memory
> in use. And it is not a problem with the trajectory (checked with
> gmxcheck, vmd and trjconv).
> It only seems to be a problem with the newer version of g_traj. I
> recently switched from gmx 4.0.7 to 4.5.1. If I use a .gro, .mdp and
> .xtc file from a gmx 4.5.1 simulation and generate an "old" run input
> file with gmx 4.0.7, I can get the coordinates with g_traj (4.0.7)
> without problems.
> The segmentation fault always occurs when g_traj "has finished". For
> example: for the same trajectory, when I extract 100 or 200 timesteps
> there are always the last two timesteps missing in the .xvg-file. Giving
> the command >g_traj -f -s -ox repeatedly leads to .xvg-files stopping at
> approximately but not exactly the same position.
>
> Since the new gromacs version runs much more efficient on our system and
> g_traj is very important for my simulations, I would be very very
> grateful for any help!

Relevant fixes have been made in the git (development) version of the code.  You
can check it out by following these instructions:

http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Git_Tutorial#Stable_version

Or you can wait until version 4.5.2 is released, but I have no idea when that
will be (maybe soon?).

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate