[gmx-users] Re: error when running grompp

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 26 22:23:52 CEST 2011

delara aghaie wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users
> I ahve a dppc monolayer on water layer 9tip4p-2005). I have added 8 Mg
> and 16 Cl ions using genion and now want to use grompp and then start
> the simulation to see the effect of ions on the pressure-area isotherm
> of the system.
>
> running grompp in gromacs 3.3 I see he following error:
> please help em to solve it.let me knoe please what is cpp?

The C-preprocessor.  In ancient Gromacs versions like this one, it was needed to
interpret include, define, ifdef, etc.

Your main problem is this:

> topoldppc.top:7:20: error: ions.itp: No such file or directory

which then results in:

> Program grompp_mpi, VERSION 3.3
> Source code file: toppush.c, line: 1264
> Fatal error:
> No such moleculetype Mg
> Thanx for Using GROMACS - Have a Nice Day

Either your #include statement in your .top is wrong or your cpp is
nonfunctional, but I suspect the former.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee