[gmx-users] Possible bug in g_hbond with implicit solvent

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 19 17:57:47 CEST 2011

On 20/08/2011 1:45 AM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Mark Abraham wrote:
>> On 20/08/2011 1:26 AM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I wanted to solicit some feedback on what I think may be a bug
>>> related to periodicity handling and/or implicit solvent
>>> simulations.  I ran some simulations of a few model peptides (some
>>> helices, hairpins, etc) and I got what I believed to be very
>>> inflated results for backbone hydrogen bonds.  For instance, a
>>> helical peptide with only 17 residues had, on average, 23.5 hydrogen
>>> bonds within the backbone alone, which, judging from the
>>> configurations, couldn't really be possible.
>>
>> Does the structure file input to g_hbond have a spuriously small box?
>>

> It does, and I suspect this is where the problem ultimately lies.  For
> the simulation, with "pbc = no" the box vectors get ignored and
> everything is fine.  For analysis, however, it seems that the PBC
> routines are still trying to fit everything into that tiny box and
> thus basically all possible H-bonds are detected as being present
> because the distances are so small.

Sure. In your case, mdrun learns to ignore the box from the .mdp file
setting, but I presume the box values still get copied around in the
same fashion as for NVT PBC... A pre-emptive work-around might be to
generate the simulation .tpr with a spurious large box, which then gets
transferred everywhere else.

Better file formats would be the only reasonable fix, and that would not
be all that reasonable...

I don't know how to avoid people rediscovering this phenomenon in the
future.

Mark