[gmx-users] Implicit solvent tutorial

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 8 16:26:22 CET 2011

lina wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Gianluca Santoni
> <gianluca.santoni at ibs.fr> wrote:
>> Hi gmx_users,
>> is there any tutorial for implicit solvent simulation available?
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried it few days ago.
>
> 1] pdb2gmx the water model choose none.
>
> 2] after editconf, go to energy minimization directly
> * It's important to relax the system well.
>
> 3] NVT
>
> 4] You may find one .mdp file from gromacs-gpubench-dhfr.tar.gz
> At bottom also attached the one I tried.
>
> If some part is wrong, please let me know.

You should not use PBC. Cutoffs should be infinite (i.e. all set to zero).  I
have never achieved stable simulations with finite cutoffs, even long ones, in
implicit solvent simulations.

The tcoupl setting is ignored when using the sd integrator, and there is very
little need to do any position restraining in implicit solvent simulations, as
there is no solvent to relax, you're just restraining the protein and not
accomplishing anything.  gen_vel should be set to "yes" to generate velocities
following EM.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate