[gmx-users] g_sas calculation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jul 3 15:51:40 CEST 2011

ahmet yıldırım wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Firstly thanks for your valuable information. Now, is there any error?
> Please see the following commands:
>
> protein and ligand are merged by make_ndx
>
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o area_protein.xvg -n protein_ligand.ndx
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> *select a group: 1 (protein_ligand)*
> *select a group: 2 (protein)*
> *I have protein SASA.*
>
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o area_ligand.xvg -n protein_ligand.ndx
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> *select a group: 1 (protein_ligand)*
> *select a group: 2 (ligand)
> I have ligand SASA.*
>
> g_sas -f run.xtc -s run.tpr -o area_protein_ligand.xvg -n protein_ligand.ndx
> Select a group for calculation of surface and a group for output
> *select a group: 1 (protein_ligand)*
> *select a group: 2 (protein_ligand)
> I have protein_ligand SASA.*
>
> *(SASA between protein and ligand)=(protein)+(ligand)-(protein_ligand)*

I'm sorry, I read the first post wrong.  Your equation will yield an answer of
zero if you do this.  I was thinking of your problem backwards.  You do indeed
want to calculate all of these quantities individually, as you proposed in
method #2 previously.  That way, you can get the interior cavity surface area,
not the exterior components as I was thinking.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080