[gmx-users] query on Free energy perturbation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jul 30 22:00:37 CEST 2011

Sanku M wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was planning to use Thermodynamic integration to calculate solvation
> free energy of a molecule in a solvent. I was following Justin Lemkul's
> online tutorial.
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/free_energy/01_theory.html
>
> . I found that
>    a) a sd integrator is used in stead of usual md integrator (
> Leap-Frog integrator). I was wondering whether is it a specific
> recommendation for thermodynamic integration to use stochastic integrator ?

It's simply a more accurate integrator for sensitive quantities for which
solvent viscosity may be important.  It also controls temperature via the
Langevin method, which produces a proper canonical ensemble.

>   b) I also found  DispCorr = EnerPres was also used to Apply long range
> dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure . Is it also a
> recommendation to use with thermodyanmic integration technique ?

Dispersion correction is necessary when plain cutoffs are employed for
quantities that are sensitive to such truncation artifacts.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee