[gmx-users] problem with lipid membrane

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:33:35 CEST 2011

Parul tew wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Justin,
>

>      > In theory, that should work.  Please post the entirety of your
>     .mdp file.
>
>     Have you done any prior equilibration, or have you moved straight into
>     annealing?  I would suggest a restrained NVT before applying NPT or
>     annealing
>     when using the restraints.
>
> Yes I did the restrained NVT before but the same problem came,
> morover there was a hole in the upper part of the system with the SOL
> molecules displaced. So then I tried to run the annealing but in this

I'm having trouble visualizing this.  Is the gap between the lipids and water
molecules, or somewhere else?

> case the SOL molecules were intact but similar problem came with the
> lipid membrane. though, just to check then I tried to equilibration with
> restrained NVT where I restrained the movement of the lipid in all the
> x, y, z axis the problem did not occur.

I suppose this will work, although in principle it should not be necessary.
Recall, though, that restraints are only a biasing potential and do not prevent
movement, they simply disfavor it.  If a system is wildly far away from
equilibrium, typical restraints can be overcome to some extent.

-Justin

> [...]
>
> nsteps            = 50000           ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
>
> dt              = 0.002       ; 2 fs
>
> ; Output control
>
> nstxout           = 100       ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
>
> nstvout           = 100       ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
>
> nstenergy   = 100       ; save energies every 0.2 ps
>
> nstlog            = 100       ; update log file every 0.2 ps
>
> ; Bond parameters
>
> continuation      = no            ; first dynamics run
>
> constraint_algorithm = lincs  ; holonomic constraints
>
> constraints = all-bonds         ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
>
> lincs_iter  = 1                     ; accuracy of LINCS
>
> lincs_order = 4                     ; also related to accuracy
>
> ; Neighborsearching
>
> ns_type           = grid            ; search neighboring grid cels
>
> nstlist           = 5             ; 10 fs
>
> rlist       = 1.2       ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
>
> rcoulomb    = 1.2       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
>
> rvdw        = 1.2       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
>
> ; Electrostatics
>
> coulombtype = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
>
> pme_order   = 4             ; cubic interpolation
>
> fourierspacing    = 0.16            ; grid spacing for FFT
>
> ; Temperature coupling is on
>
> tcoupl            = V-rescale             ; modified Berendsen thermostat
>
> tc-grps           = Protein DPPC SOL_CL-  ; three coupling groups - more
> accurate
>
> tau_t       = 0.1 0.1   0.1           ; time constant, in ps
>
> ref_t       = 323       323   323           ; reference temperature, one
> for each group, in K
>
> ; Pressure coupling is off
>
> pcoupl            = no        ; no pressure coupling in NVT
>
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
>
> pbc             = xyz         ; 3-D PBC
>
> ; Dispersion correction
>
> DispCorr    = EnerPres  ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
>
> ; Velocity generation
>
> gen_vel           = yes       ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
>
> gen_temp    = 323       ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
>
> gen_seed    = -1        ; generate a random seed
>
> ; COM motion removal
>
> ; These options remove motion of the protein/bilayer relative to the
> solvent/ions
>
> nstcomm           = 1
>
> comm-mode   = Linear
>
> comm-grps   = Protein_DPPC SOL_CL-

> This is the topology file:
>
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ;Include DPPC chain topology
>
> #include "dppc.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_LIPID
>
> ; Position restraint for each lipid
>
> #include "lipid_posre.itp"
>
> #endif
>

> ; Include water topology
>
> #include "spc.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
>
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee