[gmx-users] Nodes problem?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 7 05:19:52 CET 2012

Albert wrote:
>   Hello:
>
>   I am submiting gromacs in cluster and the job ALWAYS terminate with
> following messages:
>

> vol 0.75  imb F  5% pme/F 0.52 step 4200, will finish Sat Jan  7
> 09:36:14 2012
> vol 0.77  imb F  6% pme/F 0.52 step 4300, will finish Sat Jan  7
> 09:36:28 2012
>
> step 4389: Water molecule starting at atom 42466 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> step 4390: Water molecule starting at atom 42466 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> step 4391: Water molecule starting at atom 41659 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
>
> step 4391: Water molecule starting at atom 42385 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> step 4392: Water molecule starting at atom 32218 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> step 4393: Water molecule starting at atom 41659 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
>
> step 4393: Water molecule starting at atom 32218 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

> Program mdrun_mpi_bg, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: ../../../src/mdlib/pme.c, line: 538
>
> Fatal error:
> 3 particles communicated to PME node 4 are more than 2/3 times the
> cut-off out of the domain decomposition cell
>  of their charge group in dimension x.
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.
>
> "How Do You Like Your Vacation So Far ?" (Speed 2 - Cruise Control)
>
> Error on node 19, will try to stop all the nodes
> Halting parallel program mdrun_mpi_bg on CPU 19 out of 24
>
> gcq#191: "How Do You Like Your Vacation So Far ?" (Speed 2 - Cruise Control)
>
> Abort(-1) on node 19 (rank 19 in comm 1140850688): application called
> MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, -1) - process 1
> 9
> <Jan 07 05:08:35.964275> BE_MPI (ERROR): The error message in the job
> record is as follows:
> <Jan 07 05:08:35.964330> BE_MPI (ERROR):   "killed with signal 6"
>

> -----------here is my scrips to submting jobs----------------
> # @ job_name = I213A
> # @ class = kdm-large
> # @ account_no = G07-13
> # @ error = gromacs.out
> # @ output = gromacs.out
> # @ environment = COPY_ALL
> # @ wall_clock_limit = 12:00:00
> [...]

The error message tells you the problem, and leads you to the helpful
information found at:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#LINCS.2fSETTLE.2fSHAKE_warnings

Follow the links therein for more information, and search the list archive for
tips from the several thousand posts with the same problem :)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee