[gmx-users] Re: Dihedral Constraints

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 14 09:16:30 CEST 2012

On 14/06/2012 4:57 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> I am not going to compare this with anything , I have to look for
> sequences and their corresponding energies and select the lowest
> scoring ones.

You can't compare total energies of different sequences and get a
meaningful answer. What's the difference in energy between an apple and
an orange mean? You can compare the average energy of an apple cut into
pieces with the average energy of a whole apple, but that doesn't
necessarily relate to the same quantity measured for an orange, either.
There's a lot of work in measuring a decent *free* energy difference
between some states.

> I request you to kindly elaborate on freezing some portion of the
> protein. ( I am bit confused as in my case I am fixing the dihedral of
> turn residues which means constraining them simultaneously I want to
> freeze the other region of the protein. )

You need to read the link I gave last time and use "constraints" and
"restraints" in the accepted GROMACS sense in order for people to be
able to understand your meaning clearly. There are links there to the
kind of methods that are available. I think you need to do some reading
and thinking about those :-) If you lock down all the degrees of freedom
then you can't measure anything relevant.

Mark