[gmx-users] GROMACS stalls for NPT simulation when using -npme and -dd flags

Stephen Cox stephen.cox.10 at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:43:32 CET 2012

Dear users,

I'm trying to run an isotropic NPT simulation on a cubic cell containing
TIP4P/ice water and methane. I'm using the Parrinello-Rahman barostat. I've
been playing around with the different decomposition flags of mdrun to get
better performance and scaling and have found that the standard -npme (half
number of cores) works pretty well. I've also tried using the -dd flags,
and I appear to get decent performance and scaling. However, after a few
nanoseconds (corresponding to about 3 hours run time), the program just
stalls; no output and no error messages. I realise NPT may cause domain
decompositon some issues if the cell vectors vary wildly, but this isn't
happening in my system.

Has anybody else experienced issues with domain decomposition and NPT
simulations? If so, are there any workarounds? For the moment, I've had to
resort to using -pd, which is giving relatively poor performance and
scaling, but at least it isn't dying!

I'm using GROMACS 4.5.5 with an intel compiler (I followed the instructions
online, with static linking) and using the command:

#!/bin/bash -f
# ---------------------------
#$ -V
#$ -N test
#$ -S /bin/bash
#$ -cwd
#$ -l vf=2G
#$ -pe ib-ompi 32
#$ -q infiniband.q

mpirun mdrun_mpi -cpnum -cpt 60 -npme 16 -dd 4 2 2

Below is my grompp.mdp.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. I think that there may be an issue with memory leak that occurs for
domain decomposition with NPT. I seem to remember seeing this happening on
my desktop and my local cluster. I don't see this with NVT simulations.
This would be consistent with the lack of error message: I've just run a
short test run and the memory usage was climbing streadily.

; run control
integrator = md
dt         = 0.002
nsteps     = -1