[gmx-users] Two [ dihedrals ] sections in topology

Richard Broadbent richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 15 17:08:08 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 15:43 +0100, Lara Bunte wrote:
> Hi
>
> You wrote:
>
> >Two blocks of dihedrals are normal output for pdb2gmx - one for proper
> >and one for improper dihedrals.
>

> Is there a way to force pdb2gmx that there is only my block with improper dihedrals in the topology?

Not that I'm aware of, and gromacs is designed to allow 2 dihedral
blocks, I'd suggest you simply remove the block you do not want.
Although you should be very sure that is what you want to do!

> Could that be a problem in further calculations, i.e. energy minimization if there is this empty [ dihedrals ] block in the topology?

Not that I'm aware of; however, you should know that those missing
parameters will be filled in with the dihedrals from the
[ dihedral_types ] section above them in the .top file (this will most
likely be in a #included file).

> >> [ bondedtypes ]
> >> ; bonds  angles  dihedrals  impropers
> >>       1       1          5          5
> >
> >Those are angle, dihedral and improper function types that are abnormal
> >for CHARMM27. Using these in your .rtp means that you are no longer
> >using CHARMM27. It might be reasonable for you to do this, but you need
> >to be absolutely sure why. Importing a topology from another force field
> >is not an acceptable reason.
>
> What would be the correct numbers in the [ bondedtypes ] for using CHARMM27 force field?

I don't know them but they will be in the CHARMM27.ff/amioacids.rtp file
which should be in $GMXDATA/gromacs/top/

Richard