[gmx-users] g_hbond

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 28 16:29:51 CEST 2012

On 9/28/12 8:53 AM, Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an alcohol system and I want to calculate the number of H bonds
> during the trajectory.
> My atom type labels are C2-C2-C2-CO-OH-HO.  CO denotes carbon bonded to
> oxygen, OH denotes alcohol oxygen, and HO denotes alcohol hydrogen.
> In g_hbond how do I specify my groups to consider for H bonding. If I
> uses group 0 which is the whole system it says that I have twice as many
> acceptors as donors, which shouldn't be the case.

g_hbond uses atom names (not types) to determine what is considered a donor,
acceptor, or H atom.  If there is a problem with the number of acceptors or
donors, then there is a problem with the way the atoms are named.  Without
seeing the [atoms] section of the topology or relevant snippet of the coordinate
file, it's hard to say what's going on at this point.

Research Scientist
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA