[gmx-users] Implicit solvent

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:03:28 CET 2013

On 2/14/13 1:01 AM, Алексей Раевский wrote:
> Hi, dear developers!
>
> I want to ask you abou dynamics in implicit solvent. I have a complex of
> animal protein - dimer/trimer. After modeling by homology I have built
> another one from the plant organism. Dimer/trimer was constructed with
> superposition method. The question is - can I use imlicit solvent model to
> optimize and relax this complex? Is it real and where I can find suitable
> parameters of mdp?

Infinite cutoffs with a nonperiodic unit cell are generally advisable for
running implicit solvent calculations.  They don't parallelize well due to a bug
that I believe is still being fixed, so you can only run on 1-2 processors in
implicit solvent.  Performance for large systems actually scales better in
explicit solvent, especially if you use GPU acceleration.

Research Scientist
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA