[gmx-users] Simulation problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 25 14:30:25 CET 2013

On 2/25/13 1:01 AM, Jernej Zidar wrote:
> Hi.
>    I've been running some polymer simulations on our cluster and I'm
> getting this error:
> One of the box vectors has become shorter than twice the cut-off
> length or box_yy-|box_zy| or box_zz has become smaller than the
> cut-off.
>
>    What does this error mean? I imagine it is somehow related to the
> unit cell. Could the error be related to the fact that the unit cell
> is rather long (along x axis) but short along the other axis. The
> thickness of the solvation layer is 2.0 nm, which should be OK.

The error means that fluctuation of the unit cell dimensions will cause
violation of the minimum image convention.  Either the simulation box has become
unstable and is going to crash, or you have larger fluctuations than you
anticipated in the pressure (and thus box size) when building the system.

-Justin

Research Scientist
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech