[gmx-users] Vritual Sites and simulation time-step

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 10:22:32 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM, James Starlight <jmsstarlight at gmail.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> thanks for advise. As I understood for the usage of virtual sites in
> typical protein-water system I should
> (1) define all hydrogens as the virtual atoms  (2) increase  atom masses of
> the hydrogens presented in the water,

Not applicable if you are using a rigid water model.

> COOH NH2 OH and SH as well as polar
> groups (3) make virtual sites for the angles and dihedrals of peptide bond
> as well as sidechains.
>
> Also I've noticed that (1) and (2) can be done with the pdb2gmx with
> options  -vsite and -heavyh respectfully. From this point its not quite
> clear for me
> (1) should I make some corrections in topology for dihedrals? In the manual
> 6.7 I've found some suggestions for the dihedrals of the different
> functional groups.

Generally, use what pdb2gmx will generate and don't worry further. I have
heard the thought expressed that the aromatic constructions are not good in
practice, but I don't know any details.

> (2) should I define VSITES for solvent  molecules filled into the box by
> the genbox ?
> (3) As I understood the inclusion of the VSITES for hydrogens would allow
> me to increase timestep up to 5-8fs. What possible  negative side-effects
> of the inclusion of VSITES might occur in simulation ?

The vsites are generally fine. See paper referenced there for some details.

Mark